‘SUGGESTED’ MATERIALS LIST
DAY ONE ESSENTIALS IN BOLD ITALIC
- Pencils 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B.
- Lined notebook for taking any written notes
- Black fine liner pens, 001,01,1,2 (start with one)
- Pencil sharpener
- A2 pad suitable for Mixed Media at least 250gsm (picture book people)
- A3 pad suitable for Mixed Media at least 250gsm (illustration people)
(available in all good art suppliers as well as Amazon.co.uk) free delivery to Ireland if you spend over €25 – which you will!
- A4 Sketchpad – for doodles and brainstorming
- Any colour medium of your choice to get started
- Collage materials: paper, old magazines, old books for cutting up etc.
PVA white glue or Mod Podge for Paper, glue spreader plastic stick, scissors, etc.
- Selection of artist quality paintbrushes (not kid or student one)
OPTIONAL, OR LATER ON ONCE YOU HAVE DECIDED WHAT MEDIUM YOU LIKE, OR WISH TO EXPERIMENT WITH OR INVEST IN:
- Coloured pencils (good artist’s quality ones, not kids) for example Polychromos (K & M Evans Art Supplies, Dublin) or for extra luxury Luminance by Caran D’Ache (on Amazon)
- Windsor & Newton Gouache (cheap starter set on Amazon, or check the prices in Evans if there is a sale etc.
- Assortment of artist quality paintbrushes —Suitability: for acrylic and water media, like watercolour and gouache
- Acrylic paints: Professional quality acrylic paints are not cheap but worth investing in a few- Golden paints: fluid or open acrylics are my favourite.
- Watercolour (artist quality) pan & a few tubes of heavily used colours.
- Golden Acrylic Paints and other materials available at K & M Evans Art Supplies, off Caple St., Dublin 1. Nice Staff, ready to help especially at non-busy times. Now open Saturdays up to 4pm. Good stock of other art supplies.
- Other paints and art materials: artmaterialsco.com online art supply company based in Terenure. Other places: Reads of Nassau St (limited but cheap) Easons, and Kennedys Art Supplies on Harcourt Street.
- I use Amazon.co.uk at times for my art supplies if I can’t find what in need in Dublin or if they are overpriced. I can accept some price hikes in small art supply stores but some are twice the price which I find unacceptable.
- Any other bits n bobs you fancy….